Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2021

Purple zinnias and cocktails

I just HAD to do it - work on a couple of table runners, that is.  


I keep seeing fun projects online (blogs, Pinterest, Facebook, etc.) that I really, really, really want to make.  So this week I've given myself permission to play with some new projects.  The purple Zinnia table runner is made with Lori Holt's zinnia block from her Farm Girl Vintage #2 book.  The runner is just 2 of the 12" blocks with a 6" wide strip separating them.  Then simple borders were added.  There are a BUNCH of the blocks in Lori Holt's books that would work great for this simple runner - strawberries, cocoa cups, roosters, and the list could go on and on.  


The zinnia petals are a purple and gold batik, and the outer border is a purple batik with big polka dots.  That gold came from a Tula Pink fat quarter I bought last weekend on my girls' weekend with my cousin.  Kind of Mardi Gras colors!


The cocktail border print is one that has been in my stash for a long time.  There is an entire drawer full of border prints - because I can't resist buying them.  I bought several yards of this one, and have already made one table runner for myself, and a bag that was a gift for a friend.  Now I have another 60 degree runner made - and I've used some of the trimmings to make the outside of another bag.  There is still a little of this left for some future project. 


On Tuesday afternoon I finally wrestled with my HUGE scrappy batik Saturday Sampler quilt from a couple of years ago - and attached the binding.  With some evening stitching time, I've gotten 1/4 of the way around so far.  The backing of this sampler is a crazy batik with a design that looks kind of like ripples in a pond.  A golden tan batik was my binding choice.  


And these crazy temperatures!  At least there was a breeze - about a 25 MPH breeze.  Hot and windy isn't doing any crops or livestock around here any good at all.  This has been such a hot, dry, windy June!  What will the rest of the summer bring? 

12 comments:

Anya said...

Table runners are great projects, especially with border prints. I LOVE that cocktail runner. I know it's a long shot, but do you know the name of the fabric line or designer?

LA Paylor said...

I LOVE your border print runner!! And that zinnia one is so pretty. Lori Holt's patterns are such fun to make, right? Your purple fabric is perfect for it.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

It’s been terribly hot in this area, and many Wyoming towns broke records this week with temperatures over 100°

Vicki in MN said...

Oh how I love your purple zinnia runner! And your border print, well that is just making me thirsty, LOL. Oh that would taste so good on those hot evenings wouldn't it! Today got hot and humid here, 91. We did have 5 days of glorious weather before this.

Astrid said...

Love both your table runners! Can't wait to see your batik sampler done. 106F, gosh that is hot indeed! I'm glad it never gets that hot here, max in the heat of the summer is 95F, we always get the breeze from the sea.

Deb A said...

Great table runner! Love it in purple.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love both your tablerunners! Purple, yellow, and green are such a pretty combination. Hot and dry here in Colorado, too. Maybe a change in the weather in the next couple days - sure hope so!

Jenny said...

I can just imagine you and friends, your cocktail runner on the patio table, sipping martinis and the like outside. Guess you will have to wait till the temp drops to a more moderate number first.

grammajudyb said...

Both your table runner are so cute! It certainly has been hot here and in SD.

gayle said...

Loving your table runners!
I remember as a child in Kansas where the summer temperatures were literally too hot to go outside. Our mother used to only let us out of the house if we promised to just sit in the shade and not move around too much... I hope your weather cools off soon!

Cathy said...

Your runners are so adorable - great ideas!! No, they’re BRILLIANT ideas! Your heat and wind are similar to what we’re experiencing here in Utah. Not fit for person nor beast.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super cute Zinnia runner for the RSC, Sara!!