Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Flag Day sewing

Yesterday was Flag Day, so it seemed appropriate to do a little sewing of red, white, and blue. In my "patriotic" collection is a package of Island Batik strips that was purchased specifically to make either Boxed Squares or more Jelly Belly Bar blocks.   


Out of the 40 strips in the pack, I pulled 2 red, 2 blue, and 1 cream to make some Boxed Squares.  These blocks will be a little less "busy" than many of the other blocks made so far.  So I think the mix of these with the bigger prints will make this Quilt of Valor look really good.


So, these 8 new blocks have joined the 50 I've already made.  The plan right now is to make 90 for this particular Quilt of Valor.  


And I've been doing some planning on how to quilt this 20" flag pillow cover.  A serpentine stitch in the middle of each red and white strip, plus a serpentine stitch along the seams should work nicely for the stripe sections.  But I'm still stumped on how I want to quilt the star section.  Any ideas are welcome!!



3 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Perfect to do the serpentine for the stripes, I did that on my table runners. How about continuous curve from point to point all the way around the star. You could do a smallish stipple in the light blue or leave it plain.

Astrid said...

Well done on making more blocks. Beautiful pillow cover. Can't wait to see how you'll quilt it.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Love the variety of fabrics for the Boxed Star blocks.