Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2021

Binding and pillowcase kits and wildlife

 I have plenty of binding to do right now, starting with a couple of table runner that were NOT on my goals list for July.  


Actually it begins with the Barnyard Buddies quilt that I picked up from the quilter last week.  I trimmed the quilt and put a red binding on it.  But when I trimmed that excess grey speckled backing off it became a lightbulb moment.  I had made 2 of these Winter Moose 60 degree runners last winter, but folded them up and put them in a drawer until I found the right backing for them.  

Voila!!  This medium grey (and excess batting) trimmed off of the quilt was just the right size to back both of those runners.  I pulled them out of the drawer, pinned them on the batting/backing, and quickly got them both quilted.  After a quick run to the quilt shop for just the right green for binding, these are ready to hand stitch down. 

While sitting in the family room on Friday morning, these visitors came through a couple of times.  This is the closest that the fawn has come to the house when I've been looking.  Just a few minutes after I took this photo we had a bunch of wild turkeys.  And the rabbits frolicked back there all morning.  


 One of the 2 identical runners is now completely done, and I'm working on the red binding for Barnyard Buddies.  I can't wait to show off that quilt because it has turned out so cute!

And I kitted up 4 Halloween pillowcases to make for the grandkids.  Some of these fun Halloween fabric glow in the dark - and see that green that I used for binding the table runners?  There are more pillowcase kits to prep yet - because I agreed to make new pillowcases for my cousin, plus she bought fabric for some gift pillowcases she wants me to make.  There are birds, dog bones, and more Halloween fabrics all waiting to become pillowcases.  Glad I put them on my goal list for July. 


The color(s) for Rainbow Scrap Challenge this month is a return to blue but on the dark side.  And the host recommended that we should also work with dark neutrals.  I think the grey backings will definitely count as a dark neutral.

Let's see what everyone else is doing with these dark colors this month:

6 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Binding is always a happy activity (a finish is coming!) and your tablerunner turned out adorably! I love the green binding. How neat to see the fawn like that, too!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad that the Color of the Month worked in with the projects you hope to finish, Sara!

LA Paylor said...

little visitors are peaceful... cute runner!!

Jenny said...

I've never made pillowcases, I'm sure your grandies will love them.

Vicki in MN said...

And when you get done binding, you have a finished product which is always welcome! You have been busy:) Your wildlife looks a lot like mine, LOL

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh what a nice fawn!!