Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2021

Floor layouts

 I have a design wall in my sewing room, but it only holds small projects.  When it's time to lay out whole quilts for block arrangement, then I use the floor in my living room.  And I'm finally understanding why my mother quit making quilts - crawling around on the floor gets painful as we get older.  My knees are complaining today after laying out the blocks for 2 quilt tops yesterday.  However, I'm not ready to give up quilting any time soon.  


All 90 blocks for the RW&B Boxed Squares quilt are now stacked and pinned into 10 rows, and I've begun by sewing rows 1 and 2 together.  It took much longer than expected to rearrange these 6.5" blocks until I was happy with the block positions.  I think this will be a more modern looking Quilt of Valor.


The scrappy Roll On blocks were a lot quicker to rearrange.  I did notice that more green blocks would have been nice, but I'll keep that in mind for next time.  Because these are made using charm squares, I'm planning to keep this pattern as one of my "go to" scrappy RSC projects.  The baby quilt made with 30s prints in this pattern is hanging in the closet, waiting to be quilted.  There are only 30 blocks in the baby quilt, but 42 in this one so it's just a bit bigger and should work nicely for an older child. 

Getting these 2 quilt tops pinned into rows was a major accomplishment for this week.  Once I have the tops completely assembled, I need to take inventory of the finished tops currently hanging in my closet.  More piecing than finishing has been happening around here lately.  Piecing is my favorite thing, so there has been lots of happy sewing going on.   

7 comments:

Kate said...

Both projects are coming together beautifully. You've made good progress this week on getting closer to finished quilt tops.

Far Side of Fifty said...

My Mom always puts them out on her queen size bed for a day, I have helped her do that and get them picked up in sequence so she can sash them:)

Tired Teacher 2 said...

A veteran will love the Boxed Squares quilt. My floor currently has a QOV on it, too. Hopefully, I’ll get the borders added today or tomorrow.

woolyjooly said...

We still use one of Aunt Jane's pieced block quilts, made from my mom's leftover slipcover fabrics, on our bed in winter (it's heavier). Memories . . Your new ones will be cherished!

Astrid said...

You've been busy! Both are beautiful! I use the floor for layout too, my 'problem' is the cat wanting to help and you can imagine how that goes! lol

Barbara Sindlinger said...

Love the red, white and blue quilt. May have to copy you.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely bits of Dark BLUE for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Sara!