Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Snowflakes in July & other stuff

 Plan B for the Hexie Snowman runner is adding purchased laser cut snowflakes instead of fabric paint.  But there are lots of choices here.  I have 3 of each but am not sure which ones I like the best.  They are a little sparkly, and already have an iron on adhesive on the back.  I'm sure that I will play again with the fabric paint on some other project but just didn't like it on this dotted grey.  


The snowflakes were ordered online from Shabby Fabrics and they are exactly the size I was hoping for.  Each pack includes 6 different snowflakes, and I ordered 3 packs so that I could keep the same design on each wedge.  I'm really pleased with the prompt mailing too, as they arrived in my mailbox in just a few days.  

I'm excited to get the 6 wedges sewn together and add the 2 borders.  Then I'll iron on the snowflakes, and I may do a little hand stitching on the snowflakes just as a precaution.  The buttons won't be sewn on until after it's quilted. 

It's such a quick and simple basic design, and I do plan to make more, possibly as Christmas gifts.  My brain has been imagining several variations - maybe the next one needs gnomes instead of snowmen.  Or how about flowers alternated with butterflies?  Pumpkins and autumn leaves?  Jack O' Lanterns and black cats?  So many possibilities!! 


Progress is being made on the Flag pillow this week too.  I decided to do a decorative stitch to quilt the front of this one.  I have the star totally quilted, and one of the red/white stripe seams.  This stitch is kind of slow and uses a LOT of thread, but I've used it before and like the results.  Maybe by the end of the week I'll be ready to attach the pillow backing. 


The squares are all cut for 4 medium to dark blue Roll On blocks for this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I decided to make this next scrappy Roll On quilt larger than the last one.  I had 30 blocks already made for this one, but will continue working on new blocks to make it much bigger.  It's a great scrap buster block.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Those snowflakes are really cute. I like your ideas for more table toppers. Happy stitching this week.

Vicki in MN said...

The snowflake are all so pretty, I would have a hard time deciding also!

Sharon Kwilter said...

They're all lovely projects. The runner is turning out cute.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The snowman is cute! I’ve used that quilting stitch, and it does take a lot of thread.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I wonder if there is an embroidery program that has a snowflake...Looks like a fun project!