Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2021

Digging into the basket

The basket is about 12” high and about 16” across, and was packed full (packed down) of leftover bits and pieces.  Originally there were several containers that held scraps, but I sorted and emptied the other containers quite a long time ago.   This basket however was passed over because I didn’t want to deal with it.  Hmmmm . . . I may never become really organized with that attitude.


I’ve emptied about half of the basket so far, although now that the scraps are fluffed up again it doesn't look like I've made that much progress.  Plenty of really small bits have been thrown away.  That is part of my problem - I keep thinking every little scrap could possibly be used. Some day.  That just contributes to the clutter.  I really do want my sewing space to be neat and clean again. 

One interesting thing that I found . . . dozens of bonus triangles trimmed from a variety of projects over multiple years.  There is a whole pile of 30s prints and white triangles.  There is a zip lock bag with coral and blue triangles leftover from a past Saturday Sampler.  There is a pile of batik triangles. And there are a few patriotic red, white, and blue triangles.  A few half square triangles already sewn were tucked in with them all, probably to remind me what I was saving them for. 

The bad news about finding all those triangles is that it is making me want to play with them right away.  I didn't need another "squirrel" project to mess with my focus. 

There is a significant amount of this fabric now sorted by color, or seasonal theme, and put into my color sorted drawers if the pieces were a decent size.  Some smaller pieces will go into the color sorted scrap bins.  And I will keep working on emptying the rest of that basket.  

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Maybe you have enough to make a quilt! You stay real busy sewing who has time to sort?

cityquilter grace said...

i have a small basket that's overflowing and an XL canvas bag that is nearly full...all scraps...good for you for tackling that pile!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I keep a small waste basket by my cutting table for any fabric smaller than 2.5 inches. I usually find someone who can put the bits and pieces to good use. I don’t sew crumb blocks myself but others do.