Pages

Monday, July 26, 2021

Design Wall Monday - another Kim Diehl project

Since I finished 2 quilt tops over the weekend, I’m rewarding myself with a new project. 

Our Simple Whatnots group was supposed to meet this past Saturday, but was postponed until next Saturday due to Crazy Days going on downtown.  Since I had this month’s project already done, I pulled out another from last year that I want to finish.  I’m hoping to have the top of this one done before our group meets next weekend.  Then I can get some input from the group on how to quilt it. 

Esther’s Garden Box has a 6.5” center made from a pinwheel using all 8 of the neutral prints in the Club 9 fabric line.  On top of that pinwheel is a floral appliqué.  It’s ironed on but I haven’t done any stitching yet to hold it down.  I’m not really sure what technique I’ll use for that.

Pinwheels rule in this project, because that center is surrounded by 40 pinwheels made with the colored prints and the neutrals.  Each of those pinwheels is 2.5” unfinished.  Kind of tiny again, but I’ve experimented with a couple of pressing directions and they are laying pretty flat.  

This week's goals will also include making a couple more of the Checkered Stars blocks, and to make the next 2 Farmer's Wife Sampler blocks.  

I’m linking up to Design Wall Monday:

https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Ramona said...

I haven't been able to read your blog for a bit. You've been busy!! The different projects you have going on in your sewing room are all so fun and beautiful. This applique project is going to be a beauty.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Very pretty center piece:)

Nann said...

I love Kim Diehl's designs!

Bonnie said...

Please tell me that each "vane" of the pinwheel is 2.5" -- not the entire pinwheel! It's looking lovely. Hope there's a finish in your future.

Sharon Kwilter said...

Stunning project! I love it.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

What a fun project - I love all the pinwheels in the pattern photo.