Pages

Monday, October 10, 2022

Design Wall Monday - October 10

 What is on your design wall this morning?  My design wall (floor) is covered with the 48 Falling In Love blocks that I made for the 2022 Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Now I'm trying out various ways to lay them out for the quilt top.  I welcome all ideas and thoughts on the layout.  Help!!!

The blocks are not square; they finish approximately 8 x 9 inches, and I have 48 of them.  Laying them out with no sashing would make this quilt kind of narrow, and would require an outer border for sure.  That is always a possibility - no sashing at all.  

Laid out in simple rows but with sashing is another option.  Here are half of the blocks in simple rows.  If I did this layout, then I think a white sashing between each block would need to be somewhat narrow - maybe 1.5" finished, cut from 2" strips.  

Laid out in groups of 4 blocks with sashing between the groups is another option.  The sashing could be slightly wider with this choice, done with 2.5" strips.  

I also tried those groups of 4 slightly off-set.  This layout might be my favorite so far.  Again, this is only half of the blocks. 

Or the blocks could be split into groups of 2 - either vertically or horizontally. Or maybe a mix of vertical and horizontal pairs.  Can you tell I lean toward symmetrical layouts?  

My brain is struggling with this situation.  Help please!!  I love these blocks and don't want them to become a UFO and just sit in a project box. 

In the meantime I have the final block pattern, and the finishing instructions for the Saturday Sampler so while the heart blocks "marinate" I'll be sewing the sampler block in all 3 color versions that I've been doing this year.  Or at least I plan to work on the Christmas version.  

Check out more design walls today:
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I like the off-set version the best, I think that would be very interesting. It will also be a challenge to you to do the math but you'll be very happy if you do. I think an outside border would look nice but I'm not sure what color you should go with. Since I'm a blue person, I recommend a blue fabric. Happy stitching!

Nann said...

That's such an intereesting heart block! You could set them in fours...hmm, I'll sketch it and email you.

Anonymous said...

Two ideas. Take the longer dimension 9" and lay out 6 rows or columns. Use the dimension 8" and lay out 8 of the other direction. That results in a 54" by 64." Or, make one more block and get a 7 by 7 layout for a 56" by 63" quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

They are so pretty
What if you laid them out in a 6 long by 4 wide and added long white strips between each row ( and for the border)? Then you could quilt hearts in the blank white spaces ;-)

Vicki in MN said...

Would this work-blocks laid out in columns with sashing between just the columns. You could stagger the blocks in the column too.

Quilter Kathy said...

I am no help at all in this situation... I LOVE all the layouts!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Love the blocks. Try starting with a four heart block in the center, add a plain frame around it, and then a border of the heart blocks, another plain frame, and another border of heart blocks.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like the groups of four with a sunny yellow sashing and red hearts at the junctions:) I am sure what ever you do will look great!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I just read the ideas...oh I like Nancy's!!

Linda P in IL said...

Have you thought about turning every other one upside down?