Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2022

Finishes and distractions

 In the last week I've done some serious inventory of projects that are partially done (both UFOs and WIPs), and taken note of which ones are really close to being done.  And by saying "DONE" I'm actually thinking in terms of completed tops - flimsies.  Every one of the following sets of blocks are enough - or close to being enough for a quilt.  

* Saturday Sampler - last block pattern has been picked up!!
*  Baby Quilt Churn Dashes
*  Friendship Squares
*  Windmill
*  Falling In Love (hearts)
*  Humble Homes
*  Country Bunnies
*  Elephants

It makes sense to just choose one of these and put a bit more focused time into moving them toward the finish line.  I'm trying - really I am.  The hearts are laying out on the floor for inspiration.  More on that tomorrow.  There are too many options. But unfortunately I'm so easily distracted.  

Example of 1 current distraction that has been calling me all week is the Scrambled Churn Dash.  It's a Missouri Star pattern that I bought recently, 


I couldn't just put the pattern into the basket of "to do" patterns could I?  No . . . I had to dig around in the stash to see what fabrics I might be able to use for it.  Of course I found something. Just when I think I'm focusing on finishes, another distraction starts calling to me.  For now the pattern and fabric is tucked together in a ziplock bag, safe from getting separated.  But no cutting has happened - yet.

Another distraction - the Fat Quarter Shop has a second Sewcialites free sew-along starting later in the month.  I'm so-o-o-o tempted.  Maybe I'll just make the small blocks.  LOL  


I did cut and kit up another Quick Strippee this week.  Yup - it was a distraction.  And there is one more set of fabrics for a third kit.  They'll be ready to sew someday soon and make wonderful gift and donation quilts for kids.  While cutting these strips it became obvious it was time to change out the blade in my rotary cutter.  I have several packages in the drawer but chose this one.  Let me just say it was like cutting through butter with a hot knife.  Why did I wait so long? 
 

And while my brain was spinning around the churn dash blocks, I have the extra ones I made for myself after making a bunch for our guild baby quilts.  There were nearly enough for a baby quilt, so I made just the 2 more blocks needed.  I can probably get that top assembled this week while still trying to decide on a layout for the heart blocks.  

Good steps toward another finished quilt top, right?  And while I'm at it I will probably make a couple more blocks for guild. 

5 comments:

Ivani said...

I saw a video from Triple Play, Missouri Star Quilt with the Scramble Churn Dash patter, so cool.
I need to make an inventory , my UFO chest is overflowing.
Have a great weekend, Sara.

Nann said...

I am uncomfortable having many works-in-progress but once they get to the flimsy stage I can live with them for a long time. A very long time, in some cases.

Nann said...

P.S. I really like the Scrambled Churn Dash pattern!

Vicki in MN said...

We will never run out of projects will we;) I love the scrambled churn dash, great scrap buster.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a cool churn dahs pattern - gald you did not tuck it back away!
Good luck staying focused - I understand you!! haha!!