Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2022

RSC - midway through October

It's finally assembly time for some of my RSC projects.  Last week I asked for and received input from my readers on how to assemble the big stack of Falling In Love blocks that I've been making all of this year for RSC.   They are rectangular, and that presented some challenges for me.  


I got such interesting ideas from people, and have begun to play with some of those ideas.  This is one option - putting blocks together in a group of 4, spinning the direction and placing a little colorful square in the center.  It does require using partial seam construction but it works.
 

Then these groups of 4 could have a substantial sashing between the groups.  One reader suggested a yellow sashing, which I like.  


The green scraps have not been put away yet, even though I've moved on to quilt top assembly with the heart blocks.  This Friendship Square block was made on Thursday along with getting a baby quilt top sewn together.  There are nearly enough of these blocks for a fairly big and fun I-Spy quilt. 


A few more Windmill blocks were made and some even included some light green.  There were several 5" charms of Grunge just hanging out on the cutting table, so I paired them up with some other "orphaned" charms to make the windmills. That shoebox size container of left over charms has been very handy for scrap quilting. 


I'll have to count, but there might be enough of these Windmills for a crib sized quilt as well.  Isn't it amazing how quickly the RSC blocks add up when you make a few each month? 


  Tulip Time - a 2 year RSC project - is finally in the binding phase.  I'm halfway around this queen sized quilt.  The binding is the same light lime green fabric as I used for the sashing.  

What is happening in the rest of the RSC world today?

16 comments:

Kate said...

You've got some really fun RSC blocks to make into quilts.

Vicki in MN said...

Isn't it fun to be nearing the end of several flimsy's. I never would have thought of that setting for the heart blocks.

Maggie said...

RSC colour challenge is so much fun, no pressure and it helps us to get so much more done. Beautiful blocks.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

all of your blocks look really good - I need to get caught up on my October blocks

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The Falling in Love block setting with the center square is very fun! I recall that type of partial seam construction isn't too finicky. Hooray for finishing up some binding, too!

grammajudyb said...

I think I’m in love with your Falling in Love arrangement. Very cool! And I was lamenting to myself, that I should have worked harder at using only solids in my Happy Blocks like your Friendship Squares. Then I enlarged the photo and realized yours aren’t all solids either! They look so great! I love them in an ISpy setting! You’ve had a great week,! Awesome!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That looks like a fun setting for your RSC Heart blocks, Sara. Congrats on making SEW much progress on a variety of projects this week!!

Kathy S. said...

I really like those Friendship Squares. Can't wait to see how the heart blocks land. Happy quilting. You've had a productive week. Woohoo!

Nann said...

Oooh! I'm glad you tried the four hearts design!

Deb A said...

Love how you are setting those heart blocks. I do love how a few blocks a month make some pretty quilts by the end of the year. Enjoy your stitching.

Jenny said...

I'd forgotten about your windmill blocks, they look lovely. I've been given a whole lot of 5in squares so must keep your idea in mind. The heart blocks look great in that setting. And binding, my favourite part. You know what that means, another quilt almost completed!

maggie fellow said...

I like the heart arrangement and it is so fun to see your quilts coming together - very nice

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

congrats on getting to the binding stage on RSC2020 project! and yes, the RSC blocks add up quickly!

Far Side of Fifty said...

The round about heart blocks are cute!

Marie said...

I really love your Friendship square blocks. Could you point me in the direction of instructions for the block

Andra Ridout said...

Your blocks are absolutely beautiful! Gonna have some great quilts soon!