Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2022

RSC progress

My RSC sewing this month has been more of a focus on finishing up some on-going RSC projects because the block collections have grown a lot this year.  First of all - I finished up this 2-year RSC project.  This is Tulip Time, one of Bonnie Hunter's patterns.  I think she originally called it Blossom Time when the pattern was published in Quiltmaker magazine. This quilt is a perfect example of how making just a few blocks each month will add up.  And that is one of the best benefits of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for me. 


I used the little 6" finished tulip blocks as one of my RSC projects over the past 2 years, until I had enough for the queen sized quilt.  I love how it turned out, and I admit I loved making the little blocks.  So it's possible that I'll be making them again at some point. They would make a great baby quilt or wall hanging or table topper - and require scraps no larger than 2.5" so it's a good scrappy block.


For more finishes so far this month - a second Ohio Star quilt top is done and ready to quilt.  And one leftover Ohio Star block is hanging in the closet - as "seed" for another one someday because it's also a great scrappy project.  Falling In Love blocks have a plan finally and I'm about halfway through sewing them into groups of 4 blocks.  Friendship Squares will be divided into a boy quilt and a girl quilt - so, more blocks needed.  Windmill needs just a few more blocks to bring it up to size. 


Nanci's Star blocks are the last RSC set that I've developed a new plan for finishing.  These blocks have been made using mostly dark and jewel tone batiks. The blocks themselves are pretty but they don't look that great right next to each other.  So I'm alternating them with the same block made with light and neutral batiks.  Again - more blocks needed for a finish but definitely a better result I think.  

New plans for the Friendship Squares, the Windmill and Nanci's Stars block sets will require additional blocks.  But that's OK because it means having more quilts to donate once they are done.  And 2 new Quick Strippee quilt kits are cut and ready to sew this winter.  I think there will be several new baby and kid sized quilts ready to donate by spring.


Hello Birdie wasn't exactly an RSC project, but I did make a couple of new blocks this past week and one of them was even light green.  These were for a color challenge that the local Sew Vintage group was doing this year.  I've been making them using my stash of 30s prints.  We finished up the color challenge this month, but I knew that I wanted my final project large enough to be a baby quilt, so I'll be making a few more of the birds and the alternating chain blocks here and there, until I have enough.  


And since October has a focus on light greens, I'm determined to make some progress on the Humble Homes UFO - and it has lots of green in it.  

I love a plan, but am OK with those plans changing too.  

What is happening in the rest of the RSC world today?

https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/ 

11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

RSC is a good way to get a lot of fabric used up isn't it we can make a lot of interesting quilts this way

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Awesome RSC progress!!! Wow, a whole BH quilt put together!!! That is quite an accomplishment!!!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Congratulations on finishing tulip time. What a pretty block to feature in the RSC. Love the idea of rainbow colored birds. Think they would make a great panel or table runner.

Cathy said...

Oh goodness! And wow! I can't pick a fav!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's always fun to have projects in various stages of construction, and then you can work on whatever suits your fancy! The cute birds with the chain are going to make a fun quilt. I'm curious to see what happens with those neat trees, too!

Jenny said...

So nice seeing all those projects together, I think I need to make some windmill blocks from my supply of donated squares. Little birdy is so cute too.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW many fun blocks and congratulations on finishing the binding on Tulip Time!!

Jan said...

Your Tulip Time is one my favourite RSC projects - its just beautiful.

Kate said...

Tulip Time is beautiful! Congrats on a great finish. All of your RSC blocks are fun. I've not participated in RSC in several year so I could finish up other projects. I'm thinking over my sewing room strategy for next year, continue to focus on finishes, or just let myself play (which is always dangerous to the UFO list).

Vicki in MN said...

It's been several years since I participated in RSC. Traveling made it hard. So I have been living through all of you that get to play in your scrap bins every month;) I love watching the progress you make and now I'll be watching the lovely flimsy's that the blocks will become.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Tulip Time is a wonderful finish!!
I like your chickens too!!!