Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Saturday Sampler Christmas flimsy

 This must be the week of working with monster size quilts.  I'm binding one of them, and finished the quilt top for another one.  It's about 78" x 94".  


Midnight Stars is the name of this Saturday Sampler pattern by Amber Plemones at Sew Simple.  I chose to make 3 very different versions of this quilt, mainly because the blocks were so fast and easy to make.  But the pieced sashing is only going on ONE of them because it was quite time consuming.  Worth it in the end, but definitely time consuming.  


I deviated from the original with my borders as well as the triangles  next to each block.  I chose not to make the triangles in a different color, instead using the grey snowflake background.  And the pattern called for a wide 10" outer border using the background.  I added a narrow background border to make those squares float, and then added an 6" outer border of a Christmas print.   I didn't want this Christmas-y quilt to have quite so much grey.  I'm very satisfied with the result. 

Next steps - make the other 2 versions of the final block. 

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pieced sashing does take a bit of time but it looks great on the quilt and finishes it off really good - you have a new Christmas treasure there!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Beautiful! I hope you get her quilted so you can have her on the bed at Christmas, happy stitching!

Sharon M said...

Sarah, the complicated sashing is worth the extra time and effort! Great job. Congratulations!!

Ramona said...

It looks so great! Can't wait to see the other two versions.

Moneik said...

I love the sashing on this one, but I can understand how time consuming it is. Great job finishing up this top.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Very pretty! Lots of pieces!!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Beautiful quilt. The border fabric looks great with the blocks and sashing.