Pages

Friday, March 17, 2023

Framed 9-patch is a flimsy

 Too much overthinking is what happens sometimes with my projects.  That is when a WIP has a danger of becoming a UFO.  In this case, I decided to just make a decision on width of border and get this quilt top finished.  My husband was reluctantly holding it up for me here.

So, the dark floral border is working well.  My long ruler is 6.5" so cutting that size strip from width of fabric is very easy, and it's a good size for most quilts too.  That border makes this quilt 66 x 78.  

The Framed 9-patch was definitely a "design as you sew" kind of project.  I had a half jelly roll, which had only 1 strip each of 20 different fabrics in the Country Rose (Moda) line. Originally my plan had been to make those 9-patch blocks with the colors reversed, and put the blocks directly together without sashing.  

However, it wasn't possible to cut the frame pieces (6.5" and 10.5") and the 4 squares needed from each strip.  I came up about 1" short each time I measured.  So I dug into the stash and found the white-on-cream background.  The 5 squares needed for each 9 patch were cut from the jelly roll strips.  Then the leftover parts of the strips were used to cut sashing to put in between blocks.

I think this works out just fine, even if it wasn't the first plan. 

6 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I really like your quilt, the border fabric is perfect! Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is hard to hold up those big quilts isn't it

Astrid said...

Beautiful quilt, Sara! The pretty border is perfect.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It looks great!

Vicki in MN said...

I am glad you just whipped those borders on there and moved it forward;) I started working on another UFO yesterday and made a snap decision to just move it forward. It will be one I work on when I have a few extra minutes here and there. This week I need to work on table runners again.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love it!!
and glad you figured out that too much thinking creates UFOS! That is actually quite eye opening!