Pages

Monday, August 30, 2021

Design Wall Monday - planning a block drive

 The last Monday in August already?  Summer flew by as always!  And with the beginning of fall, I volunteered to lead the September/October charity block drive in a small private Facebook group I belong to.  Every couple of months one member chooses a charity and a block pattern.  Our members have the option to join in and make a block (or several) or not.  We've done a couple of fun sets of blocks for children's charity quilts, so I've decided to switch it up and go patriotic for a new Quilt of Valor - and chose a block I've already used in a QOV.  I'll be posting the info for the group today. 

The Jelly Belly Bar - made with centers that "read" solid, and patriotic prints in the frames, is a really easy block to use for any group when you have a mixture of skill levels and lots of different sewing machines being used.  It can be laid out vertically or horizontally and both look great.  I also made a "girly" version using Tula Pink fabrics for a graduation gift.  It's so quick to make. 

https://www.fatquartershop.com/jelly-belly-bars-quilt-pattern-free-pdf-pattern

Fat Quarter Shop has published some really great free projects, and this is one I know I'll use over and over again.  I shared this block pattern last month at guild for future QOV projects there too.  I'm really hoping that between the guild blocks and the Facebook group blocks we'll have enough to make at least 2 new quilts.  

I also think this block would be fabulous done with fun children's novelty prints in that center and frames that read solid.  That may be another to put on my bucket list.  A layer cake is perfect to use for the centers, because you can get 2 of the 5 x 10" bars from each piece.  But it lends itself to just plain scrappy too.  

I'm linking up to Design Wall Monday:
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

And to Monday Making:
https://lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

This is such a great, simple, sweet pattern! Great idea to do a QOV using it!!!

dianesteelequilts said...

Great quilt! It reminds me of a pattern by Villa Rosa Designs. These patterns come on postcard-sized cards and are only $2 each! They mostly use pre-cuts and are quick and easy to put together. Best thing about these pattern cards, they come in a regular envelope so the postage is very cheap. You might check them out: villarosadesigns.com. RabidQuilter from Davis CA

Far Side of Fifty said...

That sounds like a great thing to do!! Yeah!!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I hope you receive LOTS of blocks and can make several QOV.