Pages

Friday, August 13, 2021

Zinnias & watermelon

According to my spreadsheet (yes, I'm a nerd) this is the 12th table runner/topper that I've made this year so far.  Some I've gifted, some I'm keeping for myself, and some are in the pile available to gift to someone at any time.   


The Zinnia runner used 12" zinnia blocks from Farm Girl Vintage 2 book of Lori Holt.  I love the colors in this, although the photo was taken in the shade on my porch.  But the purple and gold and green are all very saturated colors.  However - it is a bit "one note".  I'm thinking that instead of using 2 different purple batiks in the flowers and border, I maybe should have found a border with more of a print or at least more color variations.  


The watermelon runner is something I made almost 20 years ago.  We lived then in an area famous for its tasty watermelons, so it seemed like a perfect choice.  The pattern was in the American Patchwork and Quilting magazine.  The pattern is still available for free on their All People Quilt website and is called Star Spangled Summer.  My stars are hidden back behind those big candle holders, but they are there.  I even hand quilted this one all those years ago.  

Do you decorate with your quilts?  I have them all over the house, and definitely enjoy them. 

2 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I have a few quilts/table toppers but I rarely change them with the seasons. I do change the ones on my bed - lighter for spring/summer and darker for fall/winter.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes, I have a number of pieces my Mother has made. I change out the dining table ones ofter, My favorites are the loons and Border Collie ones:) I have several quilts upstairs. And many tucked away:)