Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2021

Bee Patriotic

 This project was one of those things I started in 2020 based on a Sew Along online, made almost all of the blocks, and then decided I did not like the blocks together due to the fabric choice I made. 


Bee Patriotic was a Lori Holt sew along.  She was doing her blocks in red, white, and blue (in the 12" size) but at the time the sew along started I had just finished a Quilt of Valor and decided not to do more RWB.  So I pulled out a fat quarter bundle of brights and made the 6" blocks.  Obviously the name Bee Patriotic doesn't fit anymore, and that's OK. 

After making 10 of the 12 blocks, I layed them all out and thought "YUCK" - I just didn't care for them next to each other.  And one of the blocks I didn't like at all.  So, the last 2 blocks didn't happen and it all went back into the project box.  However, after some time to think about it, I realized that I could still make something with 9 of the blocks. 

And then a happy accident this week - I trimmed up the backing on a UFO just back from the quilter - and there was a light bulb moment.  That backing had all of the crazy colors from those blocks!!!  I used the backing for borders, and think it's made all the difference, and really pulled the blocks together.  I kind of like this again.  

It's about 30" square so it could make a good wall hanging or table topper.  I will give it some thought before deciding how to quilt it.  And the good news - I have emptied the project box, so it's ready to organize another UFO for that box.  


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow I love it. Mine is on my phd list too. Im working on phd slowly but surley. Thanks for the inspiration.

Moneik said...

It looks great with the border fabric!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The border fabric is perfect for the set of blocks. That empty box looks pretty lonely. . .

Far Side of Fifty said...

Those are some interesting blocks!