Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Organizing those batiks

 Monday I had to work part of the day, but over my lunch break I did some more organizing and prepped a binding for a baby quilt. The 4 drawers with batiks are now sorted by color and reorganized.  I know there are more batiks scattered in other drawers, but it will be easy to put them in the right spot now that I have them sorted by color.  This closet is one more step closer to being less of a mess, and so far I'm doing well about putting things back where they belong as I sew.   


I have a label on the top batik drawer, and still haven't labeled any other drawers. But since I can see what's in them all anyway, maybe I don't need to get carried away with labels.  

The tall 4 drawer unit on the right holds "regular" stash as does the shorter one in the middle.  Sitting on top of the drawer holding pink fabrics is a small tub full of black and white prints.  Then the batik drawers are to the left, with a canvas cube sitting on top that is overflowing with selvages.  

There is another drawer unit on the far left that is next in line for some organizing.  It has wider drawers with the top one holding Halloween fabrics.  The middle drawer holds Christmas fabrics, and the bottom one has more odds and ends.  That is the drawer I'm going to empty next, and my patriotic fabrics are all moving to that bottom drawer.  It's good to have a plan, right? 

3 comments:

Linda Enneking said...

I have found if I put folded fabrics vertically in my drawers I can see the tops of all pieces, so I can remove what I want without disturbing anyything else. Then I'm not tempted to just shove things back in.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Organization of stash is extremely important as is visibly. If I can see the fabric, I will use it more than if I cannot see it.

chrisknits said...

I've been bad about just stuffing new stuff in any drawer I could find room. I need to do a redo of everything.