Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2021

Playing with light blue - Week 2

One random light blue scrappy block made just for fun a couple weeks ago - became "seed" for a bunch more - 16 so far.  This is the Roll On block, just like the quilt top I finished a week ago.  I couldn't resist playing with the scraps to make one just for fun after I finished the top.  Since this one is so easy I know there will be more of these made from scraps. 
  

The string blocks with half color, and half neutral are interesting because they cause me to dig through those scrap bins.  Unfortunately, that digging just "fluffs up" the scraps and makes the bins look more full than before.  So I can unequivocally say that these string blocks do NOT seem to decrease the quantity of scraps.  The combined blocks are 18" square, and pieced on muslin. 


The house block from Pat Sloan's "Home Is . . ." sew-along has a good variety of blues in it.  And again, it's from the scraps except for that bright blue on the house side.  That was a strip from a fat quarter I recently picked up, and I was worried that it was too bright.  But after laying this house block with the first 3, it really does look fine.   


The houses have turned out to be one of my favorite RSC block choices for this year.  I love them even more as I get new colors added.  I will note that I took this photo on the floor, in the evening, so the colors are really much brighter in normal lighting.  


I'm linking up to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge today:

11 comments:

grammajudyb said...

Those are the cutest house blocks! You gotta love ‘em! I have a ton of novelty scraps too! I need a project to use them up! Roll On looks like a winner!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I can see why you love those house blocks - they are so cute with their hearts coming out of the chimney and the corner HSTs! The four you've made are really fun together.

Cathy said...

I’ll join the chorus of praise for those adorable house blocks. They are going to make a stunning quilt!

Linda said...

Love all your blue blocks. The house block is especially appealing.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great use of those Light and Bright BLUE scraps, Sara!

Sarah said...

I too love those house blocks! Especially like how you've added a matching corner stone. They are going to make a fabulous RSC quilt.

Jenny said...

I've admired your Roll On blocks for a while and appreciate you showing me how to make them. The house blocks are delightful!

Ivani said...

Love all your blue blocks, Sara. The house bkocks are lovely, I'm really struggling for don't fall into temptation.

Susie H said...

Beautiful houses ... love the heart smoke!

Moneik said...

Great blocks! You're on a roll finishing up so many different ones.

Kate said...

The Houses are really fun. All of your blocks are going to make beautiful RSC quilts.