Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2021

Prepping leads to organizing

 I've prepped a dozen blocks for a charity block drive, and it led to another organizing and cleaning effort.  Although first it led to a mess.  A friend is collecting blocks to make one (or more) children's quilts for a local charity where she lives.  Her block choice was one of my favorites - Wisdom, from Fat Quarter Shop's Sewcialites sew-along.  I've made a ton of these for myself, and now I have an excuse to make more to send to Moneik.  I love, love this block so much.  


The paper plates came in handy again.  These will get neutral backgrounds, and will most likely be made in between other projects.  I have until late June to get these made and in the mail so there is no rush.  But I couldn't resist doing the prepping for the blocks right away.  


Five pillowcases have also been kitted up from those kid prints.  Won't that road fabric make a great pillowcase?  There was enough for 2 of them and I may have to set one of them aside for Jack for next Christmas.  There was enough of the frog fabric for 3 pillowcases.  I love having a pile of pillowcases ready for gifts and donations.

Now - about that mess.  I knew most of my child themed prints were in a couple of canvas cubes but I had no idea just what a mess I actually had in those cubes until I decided to dump one onto the floor.


These are not the best photos, but that might be a good thing.  What a mess of scraps and yardage from a lot of kids' quilts, aprons, burb clothes, and pillowcases made over the years.  This is the picture I took after sorting out just the yardage and bindings .  The blue cube now holds child themed novelty print yardage.  And the red cube is now the location of panels and border print yardage.  Note to self - stop buying border prints!!  I have a ton of them, but just can't resist them.   


The other thing discovered was yards and yards of binding leftovers, in every imaginable color and quantity.  Years worth of binding leftovers!!  These are now folded neatly and put in 2 shallow drawers, rather than mixed in with scraps and yardage.  Looks like I'll have scrappy binding for more than one future scrappy quilt.  This wasn't on my organization list, but I'm really happy it's all done. 

3 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Want to come to my house and organize for me, hehe. My room is a total disaster, how I wish for a large wall of cabinets to put fabric etc. into. But there is no wall available to do that.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I used a lot of my binding scraps last year when I made masks for the church congregation.