Pages

Friday, April 2, 2021

Weird work assignments

 My hours at one part time job have dwindled a bit the past couple of weeks.  It's the slow time of year as old projects are in "close out" phase and new projects haven't begun yet.  So I've had lots of time to sew lately.  But . . . now that the snow is gone, one of my assignments has become possible to complete.


I spent Thursday afternoon walking a small country cemetery, and writing down every single tombstone identification info - about 300 of them.  It's hard to see, but there is a little lake just past the graves.  And the 25-30 MPH wind coming off that lake turned my hands into frozen bricks as I walked through with my clipboard writing down information.  My face is windburned too, but I'm sure I absorbed my daily quota of Vitamin D.  My original plan had been to only do half because it was cold, and then go back another day to finish. But once I had driven up there I decided to just suck it up and finish all at once, so when I do go back I can just quickly verify anything missing.  


My Friday task is to put all the things I wrote on the big folded up map printouts back into my spreadsheet directory for this cemetery.  And I'll need to print names more neatly on another copy of the map to pass along to the drafting guys so they can "make it pretty".  

This cemetery hired my husband's firm to make a big alphabetical directory and a map of the cemetery to place in a sealed frame out there for people to use to find their family graves.  He has had his drafting guys do the cemetery in his hometown for years now, and this neighboring town wanted something similar.  Totally unrelated to their normal business, but definitely possible.  

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Those maps help so much! What a great project!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Cemetery directories are very helpful so I know lots of people will use it, especially those from out of the area who have relatives and friends buried there.