Pages

Monday, April 26, 2021

Design Wall Monday - April 26

 What is on your design wall this morning?  I'm linking up with Design Wall Monday - 
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

Mine is holding the blocks I made on Sunday for Rectangles.  This is another free pattern from Mary Quilts.  This one used 18 of the 20 strips from a bright colored half jelly roll, and 18 strips cut from a black-on-black yardage.  I paired them up to make 18 strip sets.  And once I saw this photo, I realized that some rearranging of colors needs to happen, on the left side in particular.  

Each strip set yields 9 sections cut 4.5" wide.  8 of them are used to make 2 blocks each for the quilt and the extra section is going into a doll quilt.  I ended up with 2 of these little sections left over.  I'll turn those into 4-patches and add them to my "orphan block" drawer.   

One of my goals this week is to sew these into rows.  And if I'm really ambitious I might even get the quilt top all put together.  This was a project that I cut and kitted up a couple of weeks ago from a PIG that was in the stash.  I had this Project in a Grocery Sack paired with a different pattern.  I ditched the other pattern as it had way too much black for my current taste, and decided to use the fabric for this quick and easy project.  Only half of the black was used for this so the rest is in with my other black yardage, and will get used for something else. 

Once the top is done I'll have an empty project box again and can refill it with something else pulled from the stash.  One more example of being able to "use it up".  

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

I've long liked this quilt on Mary's blog. I don't tend to buy much in the way of precuts so I'd have to cut strips myself. Maybe someday not yet. Love the thought of repurposing something that no longer attracted you. It's always helpful to have some extra black hanging around. Have fun with this one.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

So pretty. I love the contrast of the brights and black in your blocks. I rarely use black except for a small frame - a place for the eye to rest.

Vicki in MN said...

Mary's blog is great isn't it. She always had such fun quilts, haven't been to her blog in a while, think it is time for a hop over there. I love your version!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Such bright colors against the black it should be a beauty!

Deb said...

It sure is a great way to showcase solids, definitely on my quilt bucket list ( which exists only in my mind). I don't have PIGS, I have PIZ, projects in ziplocs! Stay safe and sew on!

Moneik said...

Cute quilt and I'm sure if feels good to have a quick make. The doll quilt will turn out cute as well. I love Mary's patterns.