Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2021

Farmer's Wife Sampler blocks

 This week's challenge blocks in the Farmer's Wife Sampler book are #25 and #26.  Cups and Saucers is #25, and I have it done.  Isn't it interesting to see how simple some blocks turn out to be, when they look complicated?   Turns out this one has flying geese, half square triangles, and a square. Easy peasy!  In the book, the picture of this block had 2 fabrics with almost no contrast, but I chose to have lots of contrast so the design really shows up nicely.  


The second block for this week is Cut Glass Dish and it contains 24 tiny HST (1.5") plus 3 larger squares.  That one will be a bigger challenge, plus I'm still trying to decide how I want this block to look because I'm not sure I like it as is. 


Here is the picture of the block from the book.  Notice that all of the HSTs are pointing the same direction.  But in my humble opinion, the HSTs on the right side need to point the opposite direction so that the center squares show up better.  Or maybe the squares just need to be a more contrasting fabric.  This block needs some contemplation.  

2 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

My eye also wants the HSTs on the right to be turned. I wonder why it was designed as shown.

Far Side of Fifty said...

That is a different block. I would probably turn the right side ones around...but I am not a quilter:)