Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2021

More UFOs

In my sewing room, tucked under a table, has been a big grey tub.  I knew it held a couple of quilts needing to be finished, but really hadn't looked in it lately.  Since I had a cleaning and organizing mojo going this past week, I decided it was time to open it up and see what I might have been putting off. 


Near the top was a gallon zip lock bag holding about 8 blocks, a partial layer cake, and about a yard of fabric.  No pattern and none of that white background - which is kind of thin anyway.  There was a sticky note in it that said "Bliss", which I think is the fabric line and not the pattern.  Obviously I cut the layer cake pieces into 5" squares and was framing them on 2 sides with 2.5" strips.  Very simple.  And after making a few blocks I stopped.  Was it because I wasn't happy with the quality of that white sashing?  Bored?  Distracted?  Who knows - but it's time to add this to my UFO list and finish it.  I think it would make a sweet baby quilt. 

What I knew was in this tub was one of the very first quilts I ever made, and it was why I decided to dig into it in the first place.  It's the Eleanor Burns Diamond Log Cabin, and I made it in a class in the mid 1980s.  Originally my binding was cream colored with an attached lace ruffle.  So 1980s, and so ugly!!  That binding, not the quilt.  I actually still like the pattern and the teal color scheme I used.  Several years ago I cut that binding off and planned to just put new binding on.  Well . . . obviously that didn't happen.  It's time.  


And folded up under that log cabin quilt was something else that screams 1980s.  If the colors don't give it away, then the nasty polyester batting poking out will.  Yikes!!  There is a quilt and a matching table runner - both are sandwiched and pin basted.   I believe this is a Jack in the Box block. 


The quilt is actually partially hand quilted, with really big stitches that look pretty bad.  Plus, it's been pinned and folded up for over 30 years!  I'll start with the table runner.  The pins are coming out and that nasty batting is going to be thrown away.  After a good pressing I'll decide if it can be salvaged.  The pins I used are pretty big, so maybe the holes are permanent after 30+ years.  I didn't see any rust however so that is good.  The quilt may or may not meet a similar fate.  

In the interest of being honest with myself . . . there is plenty more in that big grey tub that needs to be dealt with, but some other time.  I think this enough to add to the UFO list for now.

4 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

how satisfying to unearth abandoned projects and finish them off...and they will be loved by someone! win/win!

Sharon Kwilter said...

Wow, those really old UFOs. Congratulations for taking them on. I love the triangle log cabin; it's beautiful.

Linda said...

You are a very brave women digging into that old stuff. I am just trying to complete more recent items.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You found some interesting projects!