Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Saturday Sampler block #5

This year's Saturday Sampler has been an interesting project.  The blocks themselves are 12.5", and tend to be very simple traditional blocks.   I've actually been doing 3 different versions because the block itself will take maybe a half hour total (cutting & sewing) and then you have to wait a whole month for the next block, right?


My main block has been the Christmas version, which is pulling new and old Christmas prints from the stash along with scrappy white-on-white backgrounds.  But what really makes these blocks fun is the interesting pieced sashing for the blocks.  


This sashing changes the whole look of these blocks, and then when multiple blocks are set together they create a secondary design.  This is block #5, but blocks 1-4 below really give a glimpse of what this will look like when done.


My other 2 versions are more aligned to my love of bright colors.  One version has this black background fabric and uses bright prints in the blocks. 


The other version is using some of my brighter batiks with a soft grey background.  As an
 nod to the April choice of pink for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I used pink in both of these.  The pink and green below are much brighter in person.  


So, I'm caught up with Saturday Sampler for now. The second Saturday in April we'll get block #6 patterns.  That will be halfway with this sampler group.  

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes it does make a secondary design but it looks complicated to me!