Pages

Thursday, May 18, 2023

Cleaning up some odds and ends

Cleaning out that bag of larger scraps (posted about yesterday) turned out to be very interesting.  Some of the pieces in there were nearly a yard - much bigger than I was expecting.  Some of the pieces were already cut into squares or rectangles.  And hiding in the middle . . . a paper pieced block.


This butterfly block was something I experimented with a couple of years ago, and then decided there were WAY too many tiny pieces to use the pattern for a whole quilt of these blocks.  So evidently it was mistakenly folded in with some yardage, and forgotten.  Hmmm - this might make a good mug rug.


The colorful print full of faces was already cut into 3.5" x 6.5" bricks, plus about 1/4 yard remaining.  There were 9 of the bricks, so I pulled out another piece big enough to cut 9 more bricks.  So this little 18" square will become another doll quilt fairly soon.


And the snowman print was folded up with a bunch of 4-patch blocks.  There was enough of the snowmen to cut squares to alternate with the 4-patches.  Another future doll quilt - this one 16" square.  If I remember correctly this fabric was left over from a table runner. 

So, the other things from that scrap bag have been cut into parts for pillowcases, or placed back into the appropriate drawers of the stash.  I have a list of what is needed to finish those pillowcases.  Some might be found in the stash, or I'll buy just enough needed.


In between working on the scrap bag projects, I also made more baby churn dash blocks.  These were made of scraps too, and there are nearly enough for a crib sized quilt.   

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have two boxes of unorganized scraps that I am not sure what is in it or what size - one day i need to organize

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I’m trying to get my 2.5” scrap bin under control. I spent yesterday afternoon sewing two patches and strips shorter than ten inches together.I’m still cutting and making two patches.

Nann said...

Amazing what a bag of scraps can produce! That butterfly is a beauty.