Pages

Saturday, May 20, 2023

RSC23 - Week #20 plenty of orange

The most important orange project from this week is the Frog Quick Strippee quilt that is FINISHED!  Yay!!  It's checked off both my UFO Challenge list and the PHD list from our local quilt shop.
 

 I bought this lime and orange frog print along with the blending print (medium width strips) in Norfolk Nebraska on the way to a family reunion in Kansas last fall.  I cut and sewed the top right away, and then it just hung in the closet with the Gazillion other flimsies waiting to be quilted.  I really really love that orange polka dot that is on the back.  The original plan was to quilt this one myself, but I ended up having it quilted by a friend with a long arm. Hiring it done was a good decision!


Three of these Rainbow Connection blocks were finished this week, and that makes enough blocks for a decent sized quilt - 55" x 66".  This will make another good donation quilt.   


These strings do make a small dent in the scrap bins, and are so quick to make.  So I'm going to keep making the string sections for more blocks, and another quilt will happen eventually.  


One more of the Pineapple Hexie blocks was added to the stack.  Notice the orange!
 

There are 10 of these blocks so far.  But since I have no idea what I want them to become, I guess they'll just continue to happen. 


Last year I made 2 Windmill quilts with RSC blocks but I hadn't been making them this year.  However, these are made with 5" squares, and there were some of them in the scrap bags I've been trying to empty.  Rather than add the 5" squares back into the scraps - I made these blocks.  Do you recognize that polka dot on the bottom block? It was a scrap left from the backing of that Frog quilt.  

I've been looking at my 3-ring binder with saved patterns that I feel are my Go To patterns.  Most are free from somewhere online, and all have to be quick and easy to make.  I plan to add some block pattern to the RSC repertoire, and I'm currently leaning toward something using the strings, or 2.5" or 3.5" or 5" squares already residing in my scrap saver boxes.  There will be more Windmill blocks, but also maybe Boxed Squares, or some other easy one.   

Check out more RSC projects . . .
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

Mari said...

I love the rainbow connection top! It's very cheery. Somehow I have more strings than I'll ever be able to sew up. Congratulations on that happy frog quilt!

Deb A said...

That pineapple hexagon block is amazing! Love the string blocks as well. Have a great weekend.

Cathy said...

Rainbow Connection is going to be beautiful. I love that pattern as a fresh way to use strings!

Chantal said...

Bravo for a finished UFO! Love the Rainbow Connection quilt. I want one like that too ever since I saw it in Liz's blog. Next year, it will be my RSC block because your quilt is calling my name. ;^)

Ivani said...

Rainbow connection will be beautiful!! And those windmill are very happy blocks pretty blocks, Sara.

Anonymous said...

It feels so good to finish a ufo! I have several quilt tops that need quilting. The hexie pineapple is fun. I made a similar quilt to rainbow connection but with selvages. That was years ago. Love your top! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Congrats on the finish! Your blocks and Rainbow Connection quilt is looking good!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the rainbow connection and the pineapple hexie - i hope you don't mind but I printed out a photo of the later to use for my scraps one day! such a good idea.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Hooray for a finish! Those frogs are really cute. The Rainbow Connection blocks are going to make a beautiful quilt, too. You've been getting a lot done!

LA Paylor said...

Oooo I just love the hexie log cabin blocks all together like that.

Susie H said...

That orange polka dotted fabric is dazzling and I love it too! Congratulations on your finished Frog Strippy quilt. Satisfaction indeed!

sue s said...

Those pineapple hexies are so pretty! And the Rainbow connections are such a good idea, I may borrow that soon!