Pages

Monday, May 29, 2023

Design Wall Monday - Memorial Day weekend sewing

Memorial Day weekend just seemed to call for some patriotic colors in my sewing room.  Lots of Quilt of Valor blocks are coming together.  On Saturday and Sunday I managed to make a big dent in a patriotic layer cake, a few jelly roll strips, and some fat quarters in the QOV stash. 


First up, there are now 6 more Floating Star blocks.  This has been one of the favorite blocks for our local QOV group, and we've made several quilts with them.  I'm guessing that next Saturday at our guild meeting some of our members will bring me a bunch more.  We started out making all the centers white, but now we're using most any neutral, and even reds and blues.  


I've now made 16 of these Split Back Star blocks.  As I mentioned in a post a couple of days ago - this might be my new favorite block.  It is a free block that can be found on the Quilts of Valor Foundation website.  It's ideal for layer cakes, because I can pair up a red and a blue and get 1 block (along with a neutral for the star).  These all have white stars so far, but I'll probably make some additional ones using cream or beige.  And I'm playing with turning the blocks differently rather than just doing the diagonal.


While sorting through my patriotic fabrics I discovered quite a few 2.5" strips, including a few leftover from a jelly roll.  So I started sewing together strip sets for Rail Fence blocks.  I ended up with 25 of these 6.5" blocks.   Trimming these led to something else . . .


Five 9-patch blocks . . .


. . . and 6 blue and neutral 4-patch blocks.  One of my QOV bins has a lot of 2.5" squares, and other small pieces trimmed from previous blocks.  So I'm sure more of these will happen.


And speaking of trimmings . . . this 12.5" block is all hourglass blocks made from triangles trimmed off corners.  There is a big bag handing on my bulletin board above the ironing board that was full of these little units, in various sizes.  I pulled out 8 red and 8 blue to combine into this block. 

So, I think I fully satisfied my need to sew something patriotic this weekend.  Later today a few members of our QOV group will be presenting 3 quilts at a Memorial Day program.  One of the veterans receiving a quilt is about to turn 100, and is a WWII veteran.

Check out what else is happening for Monday - 

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice quilts!!

Nann said...

A patriotic array! I remember learning about Floating Stars from a Terry Atkinson pattern. (Is she still designing? Need to look.)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Lots of beauties in r, w, and b! I really like those split stars. Thanks for the link - I'd like to try making them!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Love all your rwb! I too enjoy making the floating stars!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Fantastic blocks for future QOV! This weekend, I added bindings and labels to two QOV returned by a Colorado longarmer.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great designs and perfect for a Memorial Day project! What a special day you are having celebrating a WWII Veteran!!