Pages

Monday, May 15, 2023

Design Wall Monday - May 15

 How do you deal with leftover scraps?  My design wall today is devoted to leftovers.
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/


My first task this week is getting the binding hand stitched to the Scrappy Irish Chain quilt, and to a doll quilt - both are totally made with scraps, except the backing for the Irish Chain quilt.


Leftover binding goes into a couple of shallow little drawers, and periodically I find just the perfect one to finish something else.  There was a big roll of purple polka dot binding in that drawer that was just perfect for the Irish Chain quilt.  It was originally prepped for something else and I didn't like the color next to the quilt, so it went into the drawer.  Now there is only about 14" left - just enough to use in some future string blocks.

The pink/grey/white doll quilt is ALL leftovers - backing, binding, batting - and the front was an orphan block left from a previous quilt with a border added to make it a little larger so it can wrap around a stuffed animal or doll for donation.


One day last week I was looking for my pinking shears (unsuccessfully), but came across this little stack of 2.5 x 4.5" purple and white pieces, and the 2.5" purple squares.  These were also leftovers from a previous quilt, but for some reason were in the bottom of a drawer in the desk my sewing machine sits on.  Hmmm - why did I put them there?  I have no idea!


There were just enough of them to make this 16" square doll quilt.  (The squares went into the 2.5" square bin for another day.)  Again - batting, backing, and binding are all leftovers, finally put to use.  I bought a small soft squishy baby doll for $5 at Walmart, and she's currently all wrapped up in this quilt, ready to give away to some little one.


When I trimmed off excess backing from the Irish Chain quilt on Sunday, I cut part of it into 3.5" strips, and then squares.  Paired up with some aqua and pink squares (also scraps) this will make a nice little doll quilt too.  And these won't go back into the scrap bins.  Yay!!

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

most of the time all the leftover scraps go right back into the bins and boxes and are eventually used in other projects. I have way to many and I seriously doubt the scraps will ever be used up-there are two boxes of scraps I haven't even gone though in years.

Nann said...

It's always interesting to read how other quiltmakers deal with leftovers and orphans!

Bonnie said...

I haven't gotten into doll quilts but I see the true benefit for our scraps. I've had an idea I'll pass through my guild in hopes that we might find a place to send that size of small quilt. It would be a great way to use a bunch of tiny (1.5") squares I have that I wouldn't normally use. I've quit cutting that size as I have a great collection already. Lucky you to find a perfect binding for your quilt.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Nearly all of my scraps are red, white, blue and will eventually find their way into a scrappy Quilt of Valor. The tiny quilt(s) are cute and will bring great joy to a child.

Vicki in MN said...

What a fun doll quilt that last fabric photo will make. Where do you donate those?

Sharon Kwilter said...

That pink and aqua quilt is going to be adorable.

Marsha Cooper said...

I made a decision to take my scraps and cut them into 5 inch and 2 1/2 inch squares....not for projects though, but to bundle and sell in my booth.