Pages

Sunday, May 21, 2023

Scrappy blocks and more

I mentioned yesterday that I'm going to start making some "other" blocks for RSC going forward, mostly because I already have enough of some of the current blocks to make quilt tops.  Time for a little change, right? And besides - I have a LOT of scraps to use up. 

Boxed Stars is a free pattern from Mary Quilts.  It's a 6" finished block.  Her instructions are for making it with a jelly roll, and the very first one I made (years ago) did use a jelly roll.  But I have a lot of black and white prints, and a whole box full of 2.5" colorful squares, so that is the direction I'm going.  

https://maryquiltscom.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/boxed-squares.pdf

I have a nice start with orange, yellow, purple, and green center so far.  A nice kid sized quilt needs 80 blocks, set 8 x 10.  So this is a good block to add to the RSC collections.  


I'm working on binding one Sewcialites 2 project.  This little wall hanging is made with most of the 3" blocks, and the rest of the blocks may go into a doll quilt or a pot holder - something small. 

Saturday was such a nice day, and I headed out with my husband to play a little golf.  However, after 2 holes I became just a passenger in the golf cart.  Not sure what I did, but that new hip is definitely hurting.  It doesn't hurt at all when I walk but hurts a LOT when I try to step up onto a step, and when I twist to my left.  Luckily I already have a doctor appointment on Thursday.  I had no problems playing golf in February when we were in Arizona, so this is frustrating.  And another reason to keep postponing that second hip replacement.  Drats!!!

3 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

I like the start of your new set of RSC blocks. It of course reminds me of all the black and white fabric I have. So I totally understand your frustration on the hip. The last 3 weeks mine started hurting, went to the DR who put me on a muslce relaxant and anit-inflammatory(I thought it was helping) who sent me to PT(first appt a week ago). Friday night it went into major throbbing ache and now it is in both hips/legs. It hurts to climb steps. Frustrating.

Jenny said...

That's a nice easy design for RSC blocks, looks great for older kids.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh no, I hope the Doctor has some answer for you! Drats for sure!