Pages

Saturday, May 6, 2023

RSC Week #18 - dabbling in orange

Another month has gone by and we're switching from purple to orange.

The Floating Star block has been added to my RSC block collections, to replace the sets I've finished off recently (Irish Chain).  This week I made 3 of them - 2 orange ones, and a second purple one to join the 1 purple block I made in April.  I've decided to use all batiks for the colored backgrounds because I have a LOT of beautiful batiks to choose from.  Admittedly I have a real weakness for batiks.

Two orange Rainbow Connections string blocks were finished.  And 4 of the 3D pinwheels also joined the mix.  The pinwheels used an orange that is closer to coral, rather than pumpkin orange.  Orange isn't a color I buy very often. 


I can't bear to just throw away the triangles trimmed from blocks.  Seems so wasteful, right? So I've been making lots and lots of hourglass blocks from trimmings the past couple of years.  Eventually they will become something, although I'm not sure what yet.  Maybe some doll quilts could be made with them.


Those hourglass blocks go into a small craft drawer unit that sits on top of my project box tower. The red and grey ones are all from the Christmas Saturday Sampler quilt.  That quilt had a LOT of flying geese and half square triangles, so I ended up with a huge bunch of hourglass blocks.  Most of the colorful ones with white were trimmed from the Country Bunnies blocks that I did for RSC last year.  

And there is a gallon zip lock bag hanging from my bulletin board that any patriotic ones go into.  That bag has a lot of hourglass, 4-patch, and pinwheels all made from trimmed triangles. Periodically I've pulled out some of the patriotic ones and made pillows with them. 

I'm sure there will be lots of creative projects going on elsewhere . . .https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/ 

10 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

I always enjoy seeing what fabrics will appear in your RSC blocks!

Preeti said...

Love the orange pinwheels - fun and juicy! Have a great weekend!

Kate said...

Those pinwheel blocks are so fun. You've made good progress on your RSC blocks and it's just the end of the first week in May!

scraphappy said...

Quilters do hate waste. I am sure that all those extra blocks will make beautiful little quilt someday. Organization and not forgetting about them is always the hardest part for long term collections.

grammajudyb said...

You have some lovely blocks building up! I admire your organization of the cut off triangle. I don’t throw many, but I don’t get them into hourglass blocks or pinwheel! I should change my procedure!

Jenny said...

I think you either love orange or can happily pass it by, it's not my favourite colour but I found enough to make my blocks. I do like the floating stars on the beautiful batiks, this one looks very interesting.

Deb A said...

Love the pinwheels and those hourglass blocks are going to make some fun quilts.

Susan said...

With good fabric costing $12-15/yd these days, who can afford to waste even a triangle? I find those bonus pieces quickly add up, and I find lots of uses for them on Wedding Dress Blue's blog on wordpress. I love to make something from nothing! Because it really isn't nothing, is it?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Pretty blocks in orange, Sara! The hourglass blocks you're making will turn into something fun one day. Good for you for sewing those leftover triangles right up!

Jeanette said...

Your orange blocks are lovely. Nice collection of hourglass blocks.