Pages

Monday, March 29, 2021

Design Wall Monday - March 29 - Roll On blocks

 What is on your design wall this morning?  I'm linking up - https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

My design wall is full of Roll On blocks, ready for sewing into rows.  I may have to "live" with this layout for a couple of days while I redistribute colors for a better balance. 


I love this pattern and need to keep it in mind for more future quick projects.  The unfinished blocks are 7.5", so this one with 30 blocks is perfect for a child or crib size.  But it looks great in any size and any colors.  A group of friends and I made a large sized one for donation to a breast cancer raffle back in about 2009.  It was to support a teacher coworker of one of the group.  Several of us made these blocks in pinks, greys, and blacks and then we got together and sewed the top together as a team. 


There are 80 blocks in this one, plus a couple of borders.  See our quilt in progress, and get more of the story of the quilt - at this blog post - made the first month I was blogging.  Time sure flies!! The little boy in the post is a senior in college already!!

EDITED:  I also found a picture of another Roll On quilt I made.  This one was for another cancer fundraiser, made in 2011.  It had a more masculine look to it.  This may have to be a color combination I try again - reds, gold, and grey. 


5 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Those Roll On blocks look like fun! I do the same thing with the layout -- I have to leave the blocks on the design wall for a few days, take pictures and look at them on the computer to see if anything jumps out at me on the screen that I didn't notice "live," and make REALLY CERTAIN that I'm happy with how all the blocks are relating to one another before I can commit to start sewing them together!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

All of these Roll On quilts are wonderful. You have a good eye for color and fabric placement.

Judy Hansen said...

These quilts would be great for baby quilt, with my baby fabric stash. I made some notes and will make one with Roll On blocks. Thanks for showing us your beautiful quilts. And thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday, Judy

Sara said...

I square up each quarter of the block to 4.25".

Jenny said...

I love that design. Would be wonderful for RSC and so many other projects. Could you let me know what measurements you use to cut the wedges please? Many thanks.