Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2021

Plenty of green this week

 Playing with green - both scraps and yardage - is the name of the game this week.  And making individual blocks, rather than working on finishing anything.  And dreaming up new projects.  I need to get my focus back.  


I am a sucker for a pretty fat quarter, and I picked up some last week that I couldn't resist.  This green batik looks like ferns, and it's a gorgeous piece.  I plan to use some of it in a gingham block this month, but also couldn't resist adding a Wisdom block and a new Ohio Star block featuring this one.  


There are now 3 big 18" string blocks made using the RSC color plus neutrals.  I'm sewing these onto 10" muslin squares with a narrow black strip separating the neutral from the color.  Then they are trimmed to 9.5" square and put into a group of 4 with the neutrals all pointing outward.  These strings mostly used the medium to dark green scraps as we've been told the light greens will come about later in the year for RSC. 


OK - these last blocks are not green, but when I bought the green fat quarters last week I also bought a couple of coral/orange ones too - just because they were pretty.  The other half of the fat quarter is folded up and tucked away in the orange yardage drawer just waiting for another opportunity to use it.


There are now 35 of the Wisdom blocks which finish at 9".  If I set them into straight rows I could make a 45 x 63 quilt, which isn't really big enough for a bed.  But, if I set them on point, then they would make a very nice sized quilt, except I would need to add setting triangles.  Sigh!!!  Decisions, decisions.  Maybe I'll just keep making more of them until I come up with a final plan.  

12 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Pretty blocks! You found some nice fat quarters.

Arish said...

Preciosos, cuánto trabajo y cuánta precisión. BESICOS.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Just because they were pretty! Sounds like me when I am ordering yarn:)

Mari said...

Both the Ohio Stars and the Wisdom blocks are fabulous. An on point setting sounds like a really interesting quilt!

scraphappy said...

Playing with new fabrics is fun. Lovely string blocks too. Something new and something old makes a nice weeks work

Ivani said...

Yeah, they are pretty and you made lovely blocks.

Jenny said...

Is the wisdom block a variation of a churn dash with a 4 patch centre? It looks very elegant indeed. I love what you are doing with your string blocks, the black strip really sets them off nicely.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely GREEN blocks, Sara! I can see why you felt compelled to sew up those other blocks, too. That fabric is gorgeous!!

Kate said...

You've got some great RSC projects in the works!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

So many pretty blocks in this post. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Bonnie said...

Look at those great green blocks. That was (is) a great green. I'm glad you mentioned the green is the darker variety. I'll need to make a few more and save the lights until later. Your string blocks are really interesting... thanks for sharing the size.

Kat Scribner said...

Lovely fabrics and two of my very favorite blocks!