Pages

Friday, March 12, 2021

Picking another UFO and progress on a WIP

 I decided it was time to tackle another UFO to make some forward progress.  The APQ UFO Challenge this month drew #11, and one of my projects for that number is Urban Cabin.  


I have no idea what year I started this one, but there were only 2 completed blocks.  There was a jelly roll and all of the backing in the project box along with the pattern.  So it's not a project that should take very long to finish, but you know how that goes.  The one thing not in the box was fabric to use as a border, but I'm sure I can find something that works IF I ever finish the rest of the top. 


Fifteen of the blocks will be similar to this with the background on the bottom and left.  Ten more will be partly reversed, with the background on the top and left.  I have no clue if I have enough fabric to make that many blocks, so we'll see where we end up.  The jelly roll has a lot of browns, grey, black, and a sprinkling of rusty colors.  Not the colors I usually would choose, that is for sure.  Maybe that is why I lost interest, and put it away. 


Yesterday I laid out more of the strips to put into sets for more blocks.  And I read through the pattern to reacquaint myself with how it goes together.  I think this will be one my main focus for a few days, and see how much progress I can make.  

As for the WIP - that Work in Progress has been put on pause again.  Jelly Belly Bars was a project I started at the retreat a couple of weeks ago, but ran out of the fabric I was using to frame these blocks.  It was a jelly roll that turned out to be a HALF jelly roll of Tula Pink Pinkville prints.  


A very generous friend shared some leftover pieces of that fabric line that she had, and I've ordered half yard cuts of a couple Tula Pink colors that read almost solid and should blend with these perfectly.  Once those arrive I should have plenty to finish the blocks plus have enough for binding, which I had totally forgotten about. 


I made 7 additional blocks with Moneik's fabrics on Thursday, so now there are 25 total blocks out of the 31 needed to finish the top.  I offered to make a trade, so there is a little package of blue and yellow fabrics going into the mail today and headed west.  


These are really fast to sew as it is just a simple 2.5" frame around a 5 x 10" bar.  And using a jelly roll makes it extra fast.  Hence the name of the pattern - Jelly Belly Bars.

4 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Urban Cabin...that is a different name....have fun! Will you get snow in the next storm? If so I hear it is feet not inches:(

Kate said...

Hopefully the UFO proves to be a breeze to get together and you can mark some progress on the UFO quilt. The Jelly Belly Bars are really cute, so colorful! Hope your fabric shows up soon so you can play with that one some more.

dq said...

You have made great progress on your Patchwork Times #11. I am plugging away at mine as well.

Moneik said...

So glad they worked for you and you were able to get them made. I'm so far behind on my blog reading.